Thursday, March 6, 2014

(TBT) Easton's Baptism and How We Forgot We Had a Third Child!

How could I forget
about this face?
   In honor of Throw Back Thursday I would like to tell you a little story about the time I left my baby in the car. That's right, sweet precious little Easton was left to fend for himself in the back of the cold van. WORST PARENTING MOMENT EVER!

  
   The day started out great, it was December 29th and we headed out the door to Easton's Baptism. Of course we were having 30+ people over afterwards for a dinner so I had been scrambling all morning to finish things up! Though I had to apply my makeup in the car, in the church parking lot, we were early. (Insert choir singing hallelujah here!) The whole family came out to witness our handsome little man entering into the church family, it truly was a beautiful day. Minus the part where the priest called him "Eaten" a few times. Dewey had to lean over and whisper, "Ummmmm we pronounce it EeeeeSton". When the Baptism was over we bee lined it home to get the food going and to await the Genoa Care Center transportation van, which was bringing my Papa who is wheelchair bound. The entire two minute drive back to the house I kept telling Dewey to drive faster and hurry up. He pulled the van up in front of the house, so other people could park in the driveway because we have a relatively deep front yard and its a walk up to the house! 

                                             So I ran across the yard and into the house,
                                             turned on the oven, thinking about nothing but the fact that I
Easton and his Godparents
Uncle Rudy & Aunt Erin
needed to feed these people ASAP! Dewey and my brother were helping Papa get into the house, which also is a challenge since we do not have a ramp, they have to lift him in. Once Papa was settled in enjoying some appetizers and the food was on its way to being served, I relaxed a little! "Hey let's get a picture with all three of our kids and their Godparents." I yelled into the living room! Since each one of our kids has a different set of Godparents and they all happened to be in the house at the same time, I thought, what a brilliant photo opportunity! In my mind all I could think about is how stinkin' cute that pic would be in a Baptism frame on my new white mantel!

Easton napping with
Uncle Rudy!
   We all lined up in the foyer and started pulling the Dunn children three into the pose. Gabby lined up, Colton lined up, "Who's holding Easton?" I yelled out to the group again, "Hey who has Easton, we are taking a group picture?" All of a sudden Dewey whipped himself around and bolted out the front door... it hit me like a ton of bricks, WE LEFT THE BABY IN THE CAR. I've never seen Dewey run so fast and the entire time he was running to the van (which had to of only been 10 seconds), I was screaming, "Is he in there, is he in there?" Sure enough that ridiculously laid back child was just chilling in his little car seat, bundled up and sleeping. We of course felt horrible, the other two had ridden home from church with grandparents and apparently we forgot we had a third child for a moment!

Easton and Poppy!
   Once he was inside we snapped the pictures while everyone else told their "I left my kid at home" stories. Honestly it made me feel a little bit better, but I couldn't help shake that horrible nagging in my gut that something could have happened.
Parents you know what feeling I'm talking about, it literally makes you sick thinking about the what ifs. I think that day Easton had a guardian angel looking after him because even though it was freezing out, he came into the house snug as a bug in a rug. Maybe Papa Craig made a trip down from Heaven, to wrap his arms around him and keep him warm while he waited for Mom and Dad to come back. Some how, some way, someone kept him safe and comfortable during his parents parental lapse in sanity. now when I'm getting in, out or while I'm driving, I do double and triple checks to make sure all of my children are with me! Risking overusing this phrase, which I think people do online wayyyyy too much, We truly are blessed!!!
 
 
Gabby with her Godparents Josh and Angie plus their
handsome boys Jackson & Grayson,
Easton with his Godparents, Uncle Rudy and Aunt Erin,
Colton with his Godparents, Uncle James and Aunt Jenna and
the proud parents of all three Dunn children in the back!

No comments:

Post a Comment