Wednesday, January 29, 2014

This One's For the Teachers

   I'm a little late to the party today, but this morning was, in the words of my eight year old "Cray Cray"! Actually the craziness started when I heard the news last night that school was closed AGAIN or as a friend stated on FB, day #7,000 and I about lost it. Do not mistake this for whining about being stuck at home with my kids either. I am a stay at home Mom so I am used to that, however, I am also used to being able to get out of the house with them at least a few times a week for activities. Whether its helping at school, cheer practice, church or a playdate. With this winter we have barely left the house.

Another Snow Day!
My one big venture out two weeks ago was to Columbus for a shopping trip. Sure it was cold and there was a little snow on the ground, but by God I was not for all the rubies in the world going to miss out on that! So my Mom and I piled the kids in the van and took it slow. Slow may not be the word for it, it was more like a white knuckled, migraine inducing, saunter along US 23! I literally started smelling something and wondered what the foul odor was when I realized it was me sweating! I had full blown BO leaking out of the sides of my blouse. A new blouse by the way that was a lovely, teal silk with little gold buttons, the exact thing one would wear to rid them of the winter blues. I mean I was looking pretty snazzy all dressed up for my shopping spree until I lifted a pit at a rest stop and saw the sweat stains. Good lord, I hadn't sweat that much since I "attempted" to run track once in High School.

The Cheesecake Factory Columbus, OH
 Since that horrific drive, (in the end totally worth it since I got to eat at The Cheesecake Factory and have a piece of Chocolate Tuxedo Cheesecake) I have barely left the house.
   
   On days that I have managed to run an errand or two, it's so cold that when my body hits the frigid air I gasp and cough and contemplate calling the doctor to get an inhaler because I am convinced I am having asthma attacks. Probablyyyyyy NOT! Its just sooooooo cold that the air hits you like a freight train and knocks the wind out of you!!!
   Which brings me back to being snowed in yet again with the kids. It is frustrating a bit, enjoyable yes but very frustrating! Of course everyone is duking it out on Facebook and venting to their friends on the phone, "I love being home with the kids, its so nice why are people complaining?" or "I'm a teacher and I have been able to spend each day relaxing with the kiddos, bring on the snow days!" versus "These kids are driving me nuts, I can not wait till they go back to school." I get both opinions and fully feel for each side of the battle, but in the meantime while we wait to discover when we will return to a normal routine, my kids need socialization! I mean lets be serious, school isn't just about scholastics, its about learning how to socialize, making friends and exerting themselves through play at recess, gym and in other aspects of the classroom. I took my kids and a friend to the Dollar General today just to have something to do (keep in mind that there is not a whole lot close to our house and driving into the city is not an option) we bought balloons to make stress relievers, hair detangler, snacks and hangers so I can organize my closet. So $28.00 later plus a trip to McDonalds for lunch and they were still bouncing off the walls. I actually had to look at the cashier and apologize saying "can you tell we are going stir crazy, no school again" adding a cheesy smile and a thumbs up!
I'm not worried about going to school in summer, what's important is that the kids have enough time to soak up as much knowledge as they can. Heck... this Mom is an advocate for school all year round for so many reasons that I will leave it to another blog on another day. But I have to say I am a little excited to wake up to an alarm at 6:45 and spend twenty minutes yelling at the kids to get out of bed, argue with them on what they are wearing and have sticky morning hands from digging into the jelly jar while packing lunches! I promise I will not complain about having to get up and move their slow, little butts along anymore. Mother nature has slammed us with an important lesson this winter, appreciate your teachers!


 Gabby's Wonderful Teacher!

2 comments: