Friday, January 24, 2014

Cabbage Soup

   If you are a FB friend of mine you may have seen my post about making Cabbage Soup for dinner. At the grocery store cabbage was on sale, so I picked up a couple and immediately thought "thrifty dinners". Since we are making strides at eating healthier and limiting our processed foods I thought I would make it into a soup. Loaded with vegetables, low calories and yummy, who wouldn't be grateful to have a big pot of this on their stove. So as I am in the kitchen working hard my husband comes in and says "Cabbage soup? What are we Charlie's family from Willy Wonka?". Hey just because we aren't scraping our pockets these days doesn't mean we can't save a buck (especially after going to American Girl place last weekend)! Since when did cabbage get such a bad wrap anyways?
  
   So as I ladled it into bowls for the kids, I hear whining from them too. What the Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy, this Mama was irritated. The entire dinner they picked through the soup and fussed. Mind you they are not picky eaters and love all different kinds of vegetables. Lesson learned, do not make cabbage ever again, or make in small quantities for the adults orrrrrrrrrrrr let me rephrase that... make a personal sized serving for me because (not thinking ahead of time) the repercussions of feeding cabbage to my husband was rough! All kidding aside it was very good, here is the finished product and recipe!

 
Cabbage Soup
 
1 carton organic vegetable stock
1 large can diced tomatoes with juice
4 cups of water
4 stalks of celery chopped
1 small sweet onion chopped
4 large carrots peeled and chopped
1 head of cabbage coarsely chopped
6 tbls. of organic unsalted butter
4 tbls. sugar
sea salt and pepper to taste
 
Put all liquids into a stock pot on medium heat. Sauté the onions, celery and carrots in 2 tbls. of butter then transfer to the pot. Next, sauté the cabbage in the rest of the butter and transfer to the pot. add the can of tomatoes, sugar and salt and pepper. The longer you keep it simmering the better the flavor, ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment