Wednesday, April 16, 2014

You Can't Pick Your Family But You Can Pick Your Friends!!!

 
VACATION FUN!
So we have been in a slump at the Dunn house this week, lots and lots of vomiting. Nothing makes you feel less like blogging then being stuck in the house for a week with sick kids! I just have not had any motivation for a new story... then I looked out into the driveway and saw a little white Ford Ranger. That Ford Ranger does not belong to us, it belongs to the Reetz family. Being reminded of the fact that they always lend us their spare truck (with no questions asked) made me think that its about time for a blog about true friends.


One night after Dewey and I had first started dating, he took me to
Yes... we did this!
meet his best friend, Angie (Reetz) Baltzell. He had already told me the back story, they grew up as neighbors, went to school together, partied together, watch Saved By The Bell after school and ate pizza rolls side by side. He practically lived at her house. Not only was Dewey close with her and her brother Joe, throughout childhood, but as they got older he became friends with Angie's husband, Josh, as well. In fact he did actually live with Josh and Joe for a time and I believe was their built in dishwasher, something along the lines of "will wash dishes for cigarettes or pizza". Of course that was a long time ago, when everyone was young and single! Not to get off track though, I will go back to the first night I was introduced to them. I'm not exactly sure what we did that night or what was said but I remember leaving the house thinking that they were really nice and hoping they liked me. I don't know if they did at the time, or what they thought, I'm not sure I want to know. What I do know is that they were destined to be in my life.
BFF's

I'm a big believer in the saying "blood is thicker then water", mostly because its true. Family is family and there is a bond that is stronger then even the best friendship. However, your family doesn't always share your blood. Sometimes you're not born into a family, the family just finds you. This is what happened in this case. People who always loved my husband like family, welcomed me into their lives and became so much more then just my friends. They have always been there to support and love us through all of our struggles, joys, hard times and triumphs. They have let both Dewey and I crash on their couch, stood by us at our wedding, fed us more times then I can count (although that's usually Joe's forte), helped us clean our house for parties and never missed a chance to support us! There are few people in my life who I am OK with seeing my house in chaos or who I feel except me in my sweats or in my dress clothes just the same. There are even fewer that I could call to say, "I'm never going to be ready for this party, pleaseeeeeeeee come help!" they are among the elite! I'm pretty sure they are the only people to know that I have hidden a bin full of dirty dishes under the sink five minutes before 50 people showed up for a party and yes that was an all time low point in my life.

Me and Ang
When Gabby was born, I think they were just as excited as we were. Of course we made Josh and Angie her Godparents and could not have chosen wiser. Anytime Gabby has had an important moment in her life they have been there to support her. I know that as she grows older she will always have an extra set of "parents" in her corner. Our boys are best friends and Colton idolizes their son! There is hardly a day that goes by where he doesn't ask when he can play hockey with Jackson next. Then there is the fact that they bestowed the huge honor of making us Godparents for the first time. I could not have been more thrilled since he is my only Godchild and the most hilarious kid I know, we love you Grayson!

Mostly I love them because they have always loved my husband through the good and the bad. Believe it or not Dewey wasn't always a saint (wink, wink)!!! I know friends come and go but your family is with you through it all and they have proven that time and time again. My wish is that our families grow old together, we sit through our kids birthdays, graduations, weddings and more by each others sides and that everyone can be as lucky as we are to find forever friends who become your family!

The second generation of BFF's

Our Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment